Our strength in the international trade practice area is recognised; Maxwell Alves is on the list of legal advisers that are maintained by UK Trade and Investment (UKTI). UKTI is a government body that promotes UK inward and outward trade and investment. You can visit the web-link of the Government’s site by clicking here.
The UKTI’s recognition puts us on the same list of major city law firms. This reflects the quality of services provided by our team of specialists, many of whom, have spent substantial time in industry before joining Maxwell Alves. We will continue to deliver bespoke commercially orientated legal solutions to meet our clients’ needs.
Outlined below is a sample of the range of experience Maxwell Alves has in international trade
- Advising a Chinese company on a multi-million euros trademark licensing agreement with a leading multi-national sportswear company and its group in the UK.
- Advice on a joint venture for development and operation of gold mines in Africa. Work includes advice on issues relate to investment from China.
- Advising a multi-national in respect to international trade audit conducted by HM Revenue and Customs on VAT issues.
- Recovering detained goods from UKBA on behalf of importers for textile goods, electricity utilities, household equipment and vehicles.
- Advising clients on importation of goods from China specifically deal with issue of counterfeiting products and tax planning by way of setting up companies in Hong Kong.
- Advising a US based joint venture company on the import from Russia and export of petroleum into the EU.
- Assisting a UK importer of pet goods in the drafting of an exclusive distribution agreement with a Chinese manufacturer
- Acting for a UK based company importing platinum that had been seized by UK Border Agency; and acted for them in proceedings at Magistrates’ court.
- Advising Costa Equipment, a Brazil based company who bought heavy-weight cranes from a UK manufacturer, on a dispute over the ownership of these cranes. Work involved both shipping issues as well as validity of contracts.
- Acting for claimant, Great Wealth Asia (a Hong Kong based telecom company), against 7 defendants in a dispute arising from purchasing of a quantity of mobile phones.
- Advising a UK based importer of flower pots from China in a £2m dispute with its Dutch based customer.
- Advising an English company on a web of contracts relating to a supply chain of solar panels and other energy equipment, with manufacturing from a factory in China, collaborating with a Hong Kong company, appointing an agent in Czech Republic for selling to customers across Eastern Europe, including Slovakia, Czech Republic, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Romania and Slovenia.
- Advising an agent in defending a claim by a Lithuanian manufacturer for supplying military doors to Equatorial Guinea government.
- Advising Microstrain, a company based in Ireland, on a competition issue arising from the design and manufacture of civil engineering products with a UK company.
- Advising Novell Enterprise Limited, an English recycling company concerning the ownership of products which were at the time being shipped to Vietnam.
- Acting for an English company in ascertaining the ownership of recycling plastic discs during the transportation of these discs to China.
- Advising an importer of jewellery from US for products being confiscated by US Coast Guards.
- Advising on a range of products, including fresh fruits, medicine, frozen foods, being imported into England.
- Advising on a range of distribution agreements.
- Advising a range of agreements, including commercial agreements and employment contracts under Chinese law as well as Brazilian law.